Emanuel Bowen's A Complete System of Geography (London, 1747) has a large plate titled Particular Draughts of some of the Chief African Islands in the Mediterranean, as also in the Atlantic and Ethiopic Oceans (No. 68; size 425 by 345 mm). The individual maps are of Malta and Goze, the Bay of Agoa de Saldanha, Tenerife, the Dutch Fort at the Cape of Good Hope, Table Bay, Madeira, the Cape Verde Islands, and St. Helena. The St. Helena map is on the bottom right of the plate and is titled A Correct Map of the Island of St. Hellena ... and is a reproduction of the map by Moll.
The legend to the map reads "This Island after its Discovery by the Portuguese was possessed by the Dutch; but they relinquished it for the Cape of Good Hope. The English East India Company have a Fort here with a Garrison and a considerable number of great Guns to Defend the common Landing place, being a small Bay about 500 Paces wide: Within this Bay stands a small English Town; the Inhabitants having their Plantations deeper in the Country which furnish our homeward bound East India Ships with Refreshing Herbs, Roots, fresh Provisions and exceeding fine Water in great plenty, which are of great use in recovering the Seamen from the Scurvy. St Helena is about seven Leagues in Circumference; and tho' 400 Leagues from the Continent, enjoys a Serene air (except in the rainy Season) and a temperate and healthy Climate. The Governor Resides at James Fort."
Last updated: 19 December, 2011